The Magic of Creativity3 min read
How can we define creativity? In simpler terms, creativity can be defined as the ability to use imagination and develop original ideas to create something beneficial. This ability will help individuals to communicate effectively, solve problems, and entertain others. A creative person will always possess a craving to generate new ideas and pursue possibilities. We all have heard the proverb, “an idle mind is the devil’s workshop”. Have you ever thought about why it is said so? It is because, during idleness, our mind receives enough time to think about every concern of our lives. Unwanted deep thoughts will kill enough of our time and badly affect our mental health. So, if individuals have the ability to be creative, then they can encounter the consequences of idleness by making their time productive.
There are a number of ways in which parents and teachers can nurture creativity in their children. And one of the foremost methods is by encouraging them to break the conventions and think out of the box. Appreciating and rewarding their little creative behaviour will boost their self-confidence to pursue more of their creative thoughts. To analyse their creative taste, parents and teachers can spend more hours with their children. It will help them figure out which subject their children have more interest in as well. Children can be asked to limit watching television and playing video games as they provide zero benefits and are perfect time killers. Apart from that, children can be provided with various craft and learning exercises like essay writing, puzzles, cursive alphabet worksheets, etc., to foster creative thoughts in them. Practising such exercises from a young age will assist them in developing the quality of their thoughts.
Importance of Creativity
“When learning is purposeful, creativity blossoms. When creativity blossoms, thinking emanates. When thinking emanates, knowledge is fully lit. When knowledge is lit, the economy flourishes.” These are the words told by the former President of India and a world-renowned space scientist, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Have you ever wondered why creativity is considered one of the significant skills of children? There are a number of benefits that a child enjoys by boosting their creative skills. One of the finest advantages of creativity is that it helps children to be one of a kind. Apart from building a unique characteristic, having a creative mind will offer the following benefits to children.
- Improves the problem-solving skills of children. Having a creative mind will help children to think differently and conceive new ideas to encounter challenges. Rather than blindly following the conventions, such an ability will insist on trying new methods to discover solutions.
- Kills idleness. Creativity helps children to get engaged in productive thoughts and thus will assist them in killing idleness.
- Changes the perception of children. When kids are creative, they will start to view the world from a different perspective. They will start to foster positive thoughts and keep pursuing them.
- Strengthens the self-confidence of children. Critical thinking skills will be far better in children who have the ability to think creatively. As a result, children can easily come up with different ideas and solutions to their problems. Encountering challenges and resolving problems all by themselves will eventually boost their confidence.
- Develops communication skills of children. With a strong ability to think, children can easily come up with ideas and vocabulary to communicate effectively.
Apart from the above-mentioned advantages, creativity offers plenty of other benefits too. Realising these benefits, parents and teachers are continuously searching for kids’ learning techniques to improve creativity in children. There are numerous resources available on the internet to refer to if your kids possess a strong interest in bettering their creativity and language skills. Practising essay writing, English poem writing, and puzzle-solving exercises are some of the widely used techniques to foster creativity in children. Parents all across the world rely on such teaching methods to instil the art of creative thinking in their children. To ease the process of learning, parents can ask their children to visit BYJU’S website and engage in learning activities and other worksheets.